4 Ways to Create Company Culture in the Workplace
“Building a strong culture may not guarantee business success, but neglecting to hinders a company’s chance for long-term sustainability. While “culture” most likely won’t appear in your annual report, or as a line item on your balance sheet, it’s the glue that holds a great firm together. In reality, it’s one of the most impactful “hidden” assets a business can hold.” —Entrepreneur.com
Research shows driving culture is a top workplace trend. Creating culture may not add to your bottom line, but it’s necessary if you want to create sustainability and loyalty among employees. When a company’s culture is engaging, employees are generally happier, more productive, and less likely to leave their jobs.
Let the numbers do the talking:
- Unhappy employees take fifteen more sick days each year than the average worker.
• Happy workers are 12 percent more productive than the average worker, while unhappy employees are 10 percent less productive.
• Job turnover at an organization that places a priority on company culture is 13 percent, but 48 percent in organizations where culture is low in the priority list.
• Increasing employee engagement by 10 percent can increase profits by $2,400 per employee, per year.
How to use workspace design to create company culture
A key factor in driving culture is being able to communicate your corporate message in a manner that is clear, easily understood, and in a way that can be repeated. We have many clients who have struggled to communicate their message and wonder why they are the only ones in their organization to see the bigger picture! The easier you make your corporate messaging relate to your brand strategy the faster your team can get behind company efforts and drive the messaging to the client level.
Here are some inspiring tips on connecting employees to the brand, the culture, and understanding the corporate message.
We help our client use the workspace to elevate the message. We have found these amazing creative ways to engage employees and connect to your client base.
- Vinyl Graphics — These inspiring graphics can be customized with messaging and even to specific pantones. This is such a creative and dramatic way to energize the workspace and get your message across! These vinyl graphics also serves as art placement, so this reasonably priced custom solution serves dual purposes.
- Chalk Walls — Here are some fun ways to create a dual functioning space and in some cases, make use of a space that would otherwise never be used. Use chalkboard paint or apply an adhesive chalkboard on a random column that sits in the middle of the floor or a wall that otherwise be awkward or unused. Chalk walls can also be placed in a stairwell that would normally be utilitarian and unsightly! Create your own messaging center or even allow others to inspire the workplace with the opportunity to add their ideas.
- Custom Paint/Graphics — Paint is very inexpensive, so take advantage of it and make it your own. Take a big blank wall and make a splash with your corporate messaging! Even the simplest messages can make the greatest impact!
- Lighting — Projected lights or light filters are another creative way to tell a story. Use this technique to demonstrate brand, directions, or excite a mood. The use of lighting installations along walls, flooring, or entryways can make a dramatic impact.
A mentor once told me, “everyone is waiting to be inspired, so go inspire them!” We are in an age of instant messaging. Use the workspace to create YOUR message. Inspire those around you to be better than they were the day before.